M’s Medical History (Part II)

Continued from M’s Medical History(Part I)

Have you wondered what the parents go through sitting outside, when their child is in the Operation Theatre ? ….? Hell !

With the Xray and Ultra sounds done past midnight on the 4th May 2010, towards early morning the doctors prescribed some antibiotics through his IV. With this baby M was less lethargic. He sat up and by morning we relieved and happy he was feeling better. With seeing him sit up and smile again, it was a small sense of relief. It was about 7 in the morning of 05 May 2010. J decided to go home and shower, and get to work while I remain in the hospital. Unfortunately , our hopes were short lived . M started throwing up, by this time his vomit had turned green.

The doctors came on their rounds with their push trolley computers by 9.00 in the morning, by now the doctors had access to M’s past midnight x’ray and ultrasound reports. With a close examination of his tummy x’ray, they noticed something unusual. The small intestine which looks cylindrical normally, seemed to have clipped at one part.  No one knew the reason why, with green vomit it was clear that it was an intestinal issue. The doc’s declared that an emergency surgery had to happen straight away. No time to wait for J to get back from home too. J was informed , by the time he got to the hospital, M was being wheeled away to the operation theatre. The form was to be signed.

The docs had informed us that it is clear that the small intestines have been blocked by something, so they would do a laparoscopy initially to determine the cause. Since they are in the OT, they wouldn’t come out and discuss the cause with us, but will take their own course of action as a resolution. My baby was given anaesthesia , they wanted him to see his mom before he falls asleep. I was with him in the OT, until the anaesthesia kicked in.

J and I were outside the OT , not knowing what is happening inside to our 19 month old. those were the longest 4 hours of our lives. We sat there with our hearts shattered and our bodies shaking. It is the worst nightmare ever. Our families in Bangalore were shaken. They felt helpless. My Dad immediately booked my mom’s tickets and my mom was in Singapore the next day. It meant so much to us. My sister was pregnant with my niece and her delivery was due in 20 days. Still , my mom came over to support me.

After 4 fours, the doctors called us in and M was just up from his Anaesthesia and was looking around for us, I ran and hugged him in my arms, never let him go. I hugged him tighter than ever. As I sat in the wheel chair with baby M in my hands, J pushed the wheel chair to our bed in care unit. We are there for each other during our worst time.

Doctors explained to us a condition called ” Meckels Diverticulum” something unheard off until that moment of time. Wikipedia says ” A Meckel’s diverticulum, a true congenital diverticulum, is a slight bulge in the small intestine present at birth and a vestigial remnant of the omphalomesenteric duct (also called the vitelline duct or yolk stalk). It is the most common malformation of the gastrointestinal tract and is present in approximately 2% of the population,[1] with males more frequently experiencing symptoms.” Just like Appendicitis, it is an extra growth from the small intestine, congenital – by birth. This extra tissue is generally harmless, but in M’s case it got entangled with his small intestine and was choking it. So a bit of the chocked intestine had to be cut off too. It was re-stitched and that would have a scar on the intestine.

He was on IV for a few days after, The worst part of IV administered to kids is that they keep moving their hands and that can cause swelling, so they had to keep shifting his needles to his hands and legs.

With the worst over, now it was just recovery after surgery and M recovered quickly. My Mom was at his bedside for 10 days. In 10 days we were out of the hospital. We followed up with surgeons for 6 months after. Until they said everything was normal. I remember his last follow up after surgery was the 18th of October , 4 days before his 2nd birthday.

The doctors have always asked us to treat M as a normal child, No food restrictions, No sports restrictions , They mentioned he could play foot ball in 14 days after the surgery.

I did not work for 3 months after. M was at home, resting until he got back to normal . After 3 months he was absolutely fine and ready for school back, got back to the child care and that’s when I got back to work.

to be continued…

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to M’s Medical History (Part II)

  1. greenboochi says:

    Oh my God! I had chills running down my spine reading through this post. Surely, the worst any parent would have to go through. Hugs SJ. Big hugs.

  2. Wow. That was just so hard to read. I cant imagine your scare waiting outside the OR. Hugs SJ. Tight hugs for that day and what you felt. I am so relieved to hear M is okay now, but as a parent, I know you will never get over what happened to M. But Thanks God you stayed strong and you had family support. I hope M never has to go through this again. You too. Hugs again.

  3. Hugs SJ !! I hope that it’s over for good and u never have to relive it again…..

Gimme your 2 Cents !

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s