Well , the trip to India went by and I got back to work – only to be confronted with the most embarrassing questions that for the first time in my life I am ashamed to be an INDIAN ! Yes – You heard it rite ! I have always taken pride to be from a country rich in diversity, culture , traditions and values – Alas, here I am shattered.
With the ill fated and unfortunate Delhi rape victim Ms. Jyoti Singh Pandey being air flown to Mount Elizabeth Hospital here in Singapore where she gave up her life, after a 13 day struggle against all odd. People in Singapore are much aware of the case and it’s happenings as they were in close follow up on her health conditions. Candle light vigils and prayers are being held here in her name after she moved on to a better world.
In the lifts, loos, at the security or which ever corner of the office I am – I am confronted with this topic.
- How can such an incident ever happen to a girl?
- Does it happen everywhere in your country ?
- Are Girls so unsafe in your country ?
- Why are the laws not stringent ?
- Why are the culprits not hanged yet ?
- Were there protests in Bangalore ? How is the situation now ?
- Why are the culprits still shown with their faces covered – shouldn’t their faces be shown to the world for the shameful act that they have committed ?
I myself haven’t gotten over the ghastly incident that can happen in my land where women are worshiped.
I myself haven’t found the answers to the questions that I have ? How do I answer all of my colleagues questions ?
My Heart bleeds and I cannot find words to express how I feel…
Into that Heaven of Freedom my Father…Let My Country Awake !